About Colocation Hosting
Colocation hosting and dedicated hosting are similar terms with one notable exception. In dedicated hosting, customers rent servers as well as the infrastructure needed to support them. While, in colocation hosting, companies own their hardware, but are looking to supplement its functionality by renting/ leasing server space in this facility which provides benefits like improved internet bandwidth, server cooling systems, and reliable power. For a colocation hosting arrangement, the customer must have their physical server. They physically transport the server to the colocation hosting facility i.e. a data center that provides these services. The customer only rents/ leases the space within the site but maintains ownership and full control of all hardware and software settings of their server. By regular communication with the hosting facility, the customer can quickly upgrade or downgrade various features like RackSpace, bandwidth, etc. to fit the business needs.
10 Reasons Why Companies Choose Colocation Hosting
When the volume of business data outgrows its infrastructure limitations, it becomes important to establish an expansion strategy. Colocation offers them the benefits of having and controlling their servers, storage, and network so that they can manage costs and tune performance. Here are the top 10 reasons why companies choose colocation hosting-
- Security: Colocation facilities are designed to ensure that your systems are protected from all risk factors such as fires, burglars, and other things that may compromise the security of your information.
- Reliability: These infrastructures have redundant cooling and power, communication systems that ensure constant connection and strict access control, therefore are proved to be reliable.
- Accountability and access control: These state of art facilities guarantee service level agreement (SLA) for the uptime of your system, which helps you access the risk.
- Cost Savings: Colocation facilities ensure a clean room, redundant systems, and 24/7 monitoring ensuring your savings substantially as you need not spend on maintenance, power requirements, and additional cooling of your servers.
- Reduced Maintenance: High-level server support equipment is available at the colocation facilities. They also dedicated staff to make sure that systems are running at top performance. They monitor systems and service the equipment regularly, and also fortify immediate actions in case of failures.
- Freeing Up Space: An in-house data center requires a lot of space and putting all your servers in one room is not a sustainable solution. Colocation services free up your valuable spaces and provide the agility and robustness that your business needs for future.
- Scalability: Colocation hosting allows you the flexibility to scale up or scale down easily, while you pay only for space and power you need and only when you need it.
- Performance: Electronic equipment performs best in a constant cool and dust-free environment. This is ensured at a colocation facility which enhances the overall performance of your systems.
- Speed: These facilities offer cost-effective fast connections directly to multiple internet service providers to provide top performance in events of overload or interruption in connections.
- Competence: Colocation centers have on-site staff who have major experience in the field of technology. This offloads your IT staff as the maintenance and implementation of your servers is taken care of remotely by the remote smart hands.
Colocation providers are not just physical space providers but also strategic partners that can help an enterprise fulfill its infrastructure needs. The data center market is highly driven by the cloud. As more companies move their infrastructure to the cloud, they are looking to have their hardware live off-site as well and for that, they are moving towards colocation facilities. It’s good to say that these services are here to stay for the foreseeable future.
The constant evolution of technology demands businesses to transform simultaneously. A company that is expanding ultimately needs a strategy for long-run to fulfill its growth purpose. The various factors such as costs, security, uptime, etc. play a major role while choosing such a strategy. Companies that choose colocation can deliver reliability and performance that meets their business goals and avoids costs associated with expanding in-house infrastructures. These benefits have proven that colocation hosting is definitely the strategy to remain future-ready.